Thursday, January 6, 2011

Love. Live & Learn.

I was praying/journaling last night (yes, with actual pen and paper) and came to this conclusion about love.

All the times that I seem to have thought that I was in love, I think that I had part of the equation right, but not the entire thing. It was close. Some closer than others. I started flipping through the bible to one of my favorite verses, 1 Corinthians 4-7.. The one that most everyone knows about love:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And here's what I thought: The times I have loved, I have been patient, and kind. I rarely get jealous, I don't often flaunt it and I'm usually blissfully happy. In addition, I tend to follow this whole verse nearly verbatim. I'm not the jealous type, I understand misunderstandings, I'm one of the best protectors that there is on this earth and I'm full of hope and endurance.

Now, the next few lines are what had me...

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

This part made the most sense to me. I've been promised things, I've had dreams about relationships, been led around like a bunny with a carrot on a string in some instances for way too long. Sometimes, the NOT knowing where things are headed within a relationship is probably for the best. I feel this sort of love in some friendships of mine. For instance, my friend Jessica, who I've known since I was 14. We have this sort of love. No matter what we go through in life, we love each other and support each other. There's no pretense of promises, only a show of support when it's needed, a smile or a laugh when we get together, conversations that can get very deep and spiritual... That's the kind of love that's really working in my life right now. I have other friendships where it's very similar to that now as well, that I've developed as an adult.

Love isn't gender specific, and I'm thankful that while I'm waiting for God to send me the man to enhance my life, I can recognize the love I have with my friends and family. It's enduring.

I believe that love is a powerful force in this world. I see it very clearly, but at the same time, there's much yet to be revealed to me. So for now, I know in part... and I pray that I will see it fully.

Live and learn. Live and learn. Live and learn.

I've always had faith, hope and love. It's true that the most powerful and greatest of these is love. With love, all things are possible.

Go tell someone you love them today. Tell them they're appreciated, tell them you really enjoy having them in your life. It doesn't have to be a romantic type of love, just tell someone that is special to you exactly why they light up your life. Pass on the love in your life, it's multiplied when we share it with others.

No comments: