Monday, July 28, 2008

Today, I cried.

It's only quarter to ten in the morning, and I've already cried today.

Why? Well, even the strongest women in the world have their weakest points. I've been struggling lately, to support four kids and doing it on an extra tight budget this month, and today, I have to work the 11am to 7pm shift, which means that I have to have our babysitter come and pick up the kids at 5:30pm, and stay till 7:30pm, which means that I need $20 to pay her.

I have twenty dollars after all is said and done to last us the week. We have food, but we could definitely use a few more things during the week. So, I'm stressing out.

I have these Pittston Area football calendar things that I'm supposed to sell for $10 a piece to get my money back for F being enrolled in their program, but I have no idea why anyone would buy these calendar things and who I'd even ask. I guess I'll try work. Everyone's strapped though.

Anyway, with my own buildup of stress, plus the regular end of the month "I have to hit my numbers or else live like a pauper again for another month", I'm ready to explode.

And then, running through the house straightening up this morning after dropping them all off at daycare, I went to fix the girls beds. Under K's pillow, I found a note to the Tooth Fairy. She had found a box with her tooth in it in my room, and running interference, I said that the Tooth Fairy must have put it somewhere safe while we were moving. I told her to put it under her pillow again and maybe she'd come back and take it this time. K had already been paid for the tooth.

So, there's a note, written in an orange gel pen on a piece of ripped paper. "Tooth Fairy can I fly without wings please?"

Written in my seven year old's handwriting.

Then, I cried. Immediately, memories of my own seventh year came rushing back, and how I wanted to fly without wings too. I think it's many kids' dream to be able to fly.

The reason I think I let the tears fall, is because here I have been so stressed out with my day to day life, paying bills and keeping kids fed... that I failed to see the magic in their eyes.

For a brief moment, I was reminded of the little bit of heaven we get to see when we have children- to experience their "magic" and "belief" and all their hopes and dreams, from a point of an adult's perspective.

So now, I am going to collect myself, remind myself of this magic, and wish like hell I could fly without wings too... I'm going to soar- even if I can't do it physically, I can do it mentally.

My seven year old's note to the Tooth Fairy restored my strength to continue on through these difficult times. There's my slice of heaven.

No comments: