Monday, July 28, 2008

Jon McLaughlin

I'm now in love with this man's music. I didn't remember his name... but I remember the first time I heard him sing. I love the movie, "Enchanted" and he's the guy who sang the Oscar nominated song, "So Close" in the movie's romantic crescendo.

So I loved it, and moved on... and then I found this song, "Indiana".



Most of the people who know me, know that through a man I loved, also named Jon, I have a very special connection to Indiana- and a man that grew up there.

The song itself, is what I consider to be a musical and lyrical work of art. I'm a sucker for piano, and this song is just so fitting. I can imagine my Jon saying all of these lyrics in his own head... he's forced to travel for his job- the one that pays him enough to support his children, but it's a double edged sword, because he has to be on the road, instead of in his town in Indiana... and it's the main reason he doesn't allow himself to commit further to a relationship- because, as he told me... "I couldn't give you the life you deserved"... We are still friends, he still calls nearly every night... but it's still a hard thing to know that it's not going to go anywhere anymore, simply because even though he's told me he loved me... and I've said the same...

We're both committed to doing what's right for our kids and our lives before sharing them with another person again on that level.

So, I found another song of his that I like- from the new Jon in my life (the McLaughlin one), it's called "Beautiful Disaster". I could listen to his soft voice all day and all night.

It keeps the loneliness at bay.

No comments: