Saturday, September 20, 2008

Life's Funny Like That....

A really cool incidence.

I went out last night up to the Honkytonk for the first time in kind of a while. Lefty had called, said he was going to head up there, and I hadn't seen him in a few months, so I decided to see if I could go for a while.

Anyway, while I was up there, I saw a few familiar faces, and one that I semi-recognized but couldn't place 100%. He looked familiar, but I couldn't remember his name.

When we caught each other's eyes, we engaged in small talk, etc... and then one of the regular bar patrons- he's a nice old guy, but always kind of gets you talking to him and doesn't let you stop- walked in, and I leaned over to Joe and said, "Can you do me a really big favor and just move over a seat (closer to me), just sit here so this guy doesn't sit here and talk my ear off?".

He laughed, and moved over.

So we exchanged the hellos again and said basically that we both thought the other person looked familiar. So we started sharing life stories. He's in the army and has spent the better part of the past 4 1/2 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. While we were talking, he said sometimes it sucks when people don't understand why he has to "kill people for a living"... and I said, "Well, it's got it's purpose- and over there it's a kill or be killed situation, so... You are protecting my right to sit at this bar, say what I want and drink a beer without feeling oppressed, so I understand and appreciate what you do."

He sat back in the chair, smiled a little.... and then I leaned in, and out of nowhere I said, "Are you a sniper?"

The look of surprise on his face was priceless. "How did you know?", he asked.

I explained that he reminded me- in both looks and conversation, very much like a good friend of mine that I knew in Nashville. I went on to say that my friend in Nashville was a decorated war hero, and was teaching sniping school at Fort Campbell. My friend Todd is actually the #2 Sniper in the nation (at last check).

Joey's eyes lit up, and he said, "Holy Shit, I cannot believe you know Todd D., that's completely uncanny", and I laughed because I not only figured out what part of army work he did, but I also referenced someone he knew.

As it turns out, Joey and Todd had been overseas together more than once. They know each other REALLY well. Life's funny like that. Everything comes full circle at some point. It was just a really cool coincedence and something that was just fodder for more conversation.

We spent the rest of the night talking about Todd, sharing stories about our lives and laughing with his friend too (also named Joe).

I mentioned Paintball and my new love of playing the game. Joe mentioned that if I ever wanted to go to a range, he would teach me how to shoot. I jumped at the chance, telling him that a long time ago, Todd had volunteered the same thing, but either money or time on both our parts just kept postponing the trip to the range. He said he would be happy to take me to the range some time and we exchanged numbers.

Now I gotta find Todd's number from one of my old phones and tell him I met an old friend of his at random in Dunmore, Pennsylvania.

How cool is that?

No comments: