Saturday, February 28, 2009

Eight is Enough, Nights In Rodanthe and Drunken Late Night Texts... Whew.

The Sleepover

Well, I'm officially crazy I think. I had the neighborhood kids over for a sleepover... all at once. That means I had 8 kids here, 10 and under total. Whew.

Surprisingly, it started out alright. The kids INHALED all the snacks I put out, and then my neighbor Joann brought over 3 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies... which were gone in approximately 5 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. Five minutes. Gone.

When I shooed them all out of the kitchen, I put on a movie that they agreed on. My living room was a pile of blankets, webkins and kids. All over the place. My oldest was acting up a bit, so I kept pulling him out of the room and putting him in his room. Then there was the noise. After a long day, let me tell you... six little girls make a LOT of noise. It was like they weren't watching the movie. They were bouncing off the walls from their sugar high of Girl Scout Cookies.

I was upstairs, in my room watching my own movie (Nights In Rodanthe) and had to get up several times to ask them to calm down so I could hear the words on the TV in my room.

At the end of the night, I put everyone on bedtime alert around 11:30, saying it was time to settle down and get to bed. By 12:30 all the girls relocated to my girls room, instead of the living room, and when I passed by the room on my way to the bathroom, there was a glow of Nintendo DS screens. They were ALL up, playing. As I walked closer to the bathroom and passed my boys room, both of them were up, laying on their bellies, with their DS screens open too. I was SO tired and SO ready to pass out cold. I reminded everyone it was bedtime and I went to bed.

I woke up this morning to someone (one of the girls) saying "Oreo" repetitively, like no lie 200-300 times outside my bedroom door, loudly. It was part of the DS game, they have to say their pets name or something. I find this extremely annoying as part of a DS game. I asked the girls to relocate their DS playing to the living room at 7am. About 6 hours of sleep... that just wasn't enough last night. I was an active dreamer last night too, I remember waking a few times and being restless, so I don't think it was a restful night of sleep.

This morning, it's 10am, and everyone's blankets are back at their houses, along with the webkins... and I have a new appreciation for families with 8 kids (or more). Like the old TV show says, Eight is Enough. I'm still exhausted.

Nights in Rodanthe

I am so disappointed. I put it in, expecting a love story... and well, let's just say as a divorced woman, I was pissed to be robbed of the romantic story with a feel good ending.

SPOILER ALERT**

So basically, here's the story. Divorced woman with bratty daughter and quiet/sick son struggles to meet everyone's needs. She fills in for a friend on her weekend off at her friend's hotel, even though there's a nasty storm on the way. Right before she leaves her ex tells her he wants to come back home, and realizes his mistake in cheating on her. She says she needs time to think and they'll discuss it at a later date. She goes to the inn, meets the only guest (Richard Gere), they fall in love over the weekend, and they resolve a bunch of their issues and become renewed. (up to this point, I enjoyed the movie). He has to go to some foreign country to meet up with his son and it's gonna be a few months... they send love letters back and forth, back and forth, with pictures and her friend comments how he's a keeper. She prepares for him to come see her now that he's coming back into town, and she makes a special dinner... he doesn't show up. The next morning, his son appears on her doorstep, and lets her know his father was killed in a mudslide where they were.

He hands he a box of his fathers things, including all her letters to him, pictures, a book, and a letter she hadn't read yet because it hadn't been sent.

She goes into a deep depression, her daughter comes around and movie ends with her seeing the wild horses at Rodanthe, then on a pier with her kids and blowing a kiss into the wind.

Fuck THAT.

Sure, that's what every woman wants to hear... a love story where the guy dies... before they really get to spend time together. Ugh, depressing.

I am pissed at Nicholas Sparks.

As as divorced woman who finds it hard enough to believe that true happiness is indeed out there in a mate, I don't want to see this crap where someone finds happiness only to have love again snatched out from under her. Thanks, Nick. Asshole.

It is not a "feel good" story because she sees horses. Or because she feels better about herself.

Sigh. Yes, I was pissed that I wasted my life on that movie.

Drunken Late Night Texts

Normally, I don't mind my friends who send me late night texts because 1. I'm usually up and 2. I usually laugh... and sometimes, I'm the culprit of the late night text sending.

I didn't get the texts till this morning at 7am when I was awakened by the OREO yelling... and I read one that made me a little ticked off.

I can't quite be sure if it's the fact that I'm still pissed about the movie and read it in my fuming about the Oreo yelling and being awakened way too early on a Saturday...

This person knew I had 8 kids at the house...but I'm gonna let him off the hook and assume it was the alcohol talking. After all, it was late on a Friday night. I think it's more my frustration at wanting something physical to happen between us more than the silly text itself... oh, that and the lack of sleep/pissed off at the movie ending.

FIN

Well, that's all for now. I am working on building up these blog posts a bit. I'll have to come back and add in the links for the movie and stuff later. Right now, I want to go curl up in my bed and see if I can doze off again... all the extra kids are gone and mine are watching some annoying show with a whiny kid on the Disney channel (I realize that is just about all of them). Yawn...

No comments: