Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars... My commentary through the show.

I absolutely LOVED Hugh Jackman's opening song/dance. What a cute little addition by having Anne Hathaway join in! Brilliant, as usual, Mr. Jackman.



Awards...



I like the way they're doing the presenting this year, though I have to ask Goldie Hawn about her dress... her breasts are not fitting in the dress and are squished off to the side, near her armpits. Weird. She's a beautiful lady, just definitely that wasn't the "look" for her.



Congratulations to Penelope Cruz. Please don't faint. The vintage dress of hers is beautiful, she saw it first EIGHT years ago... and went back to get it- and it was still there!



Set...

I have to say I really like the set this year. Being that I'm a huge fan of the whole 1940s big band era, I love the fact that the band isn't shoved in the pit, that the stage is so close to the audience and it's a very cozy setting for a great show. Beyond that, it's simply gorgeous.



Screenplay:

Great presentation by Tina Fey and Steve Martin. They're always funny.



Congratulations to Dustin Lance Black, for MILK. Wow, I didn't realize he was so young! What a great story and acceptance speech.



Adapted Screenplay:

Congrats to Simon Beaufoy for Slumdog Millionaire. Funny, he looks a lot like my friend Danny Wells.



Animation:

Jennifer Aniston and Jack Black presented. Hahaha at the Oscar in the old fridge in Wall-E.

Congratulations to Andrew Stanton for Wall-E. Great speech and hey, I like his kids names! Ben and Audrey... well, I like his daughter's name especially! Hehehehe.



Best Animated Short Film:

Congrats to Le Maison en Petits Cubes and Kunio Kato. He was struggling so hard through his speech with his English and made everyone laugh with the Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto. Hahah, nice touch!



Commercial Break Thoughts: I just decided to do this since sitting here with the computer seemed like a good idea at the time. Hey, if you watch something, you might as well offer a commentary, right? I'm sitting at home and the shower has to be fixed tomorrow morning, as it's currently leaking water into my kitchen if I turn it on, so I haven't showered today and I don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything until I shower. For some reason, unbenownst to me, I have a case of dry mouth. I think it's left over from the whole cold/fever thing... it's been here a few days. I keep drinking water and all that happens is I have to pee more, but the dryness has stayed. Also, I had such dry skin from the heater running, that somehow i managed to have a chapped lip on the crease of my mouth and I split it open, which has made eating and talking and anything that requires my mouth open enough to bite something, painful. I guess I could make smoothies, but I've been dousing it with split open Vitamin E capsules instead and fighting the urge to put my tongue on it which I know only will make it worse. Ok, back to the Oscars for now.



Oscars:

Sarah Jessica Parker and Daniel Craig (he's so hot) present the awards.



Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Costume Design: The Duchess - Michael O'Connor

Makeup Artist: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button



I don't have much to say about these, usually... as I haven't seen either movie, so I can't comment based on personal experience.



Amanda Seyfried and the guy who played Edward in Twilight presented a Romance movie montage. I should probably know his real name.



Commercial Break Commentary again:

So I should get up and refill my drink, I should also yell at the kids that aren't sleeping yet, and my friend Brian called and wants to go sing Karaoke. There is a contest tonight at Spurs, it's the whole Karaoke Contest from Crazy Chris, grand prize is $500. I don't really want to go. I'm more interested in sitting here and doing nothing. Besides, if I went anywhere, I know where I'd be.



Oscars:

Hugh's back on. Cinematographer. Natalie Portman and Stiller presenting. Ben's wearing some sort of weird beard and chewing gum, acting all disinterested, while Natalie is presenting. Ben's just walking around and the audience is laughing. Natalie is struggling to keep from laughing herself.



Cinematographer: Anthony Dod Mantle for Slumdog Millionaire. I can't be sure, but he looked like he was wearing sneakers with his suit.



Commercial Break Commentary:

Only two.



Oscars:

Jessica Biel presenting an honor to the guy who masterminded the digital effects used in all animated movies now... and back to commercial.



Commercial Break Commentary:

I can't believe that I'm still here on the same channel. I don't usually watch anything for this long. I have a horrible attention span. Either way, I'm ok with that. I know Brian's gonna start calling. I still don't feel like going anywhere. Especially with my mouth all chapped, I would rather stay home.



Oscars:

Comedy movie montage. Included a piece of the Reader... they laughed. Did the whole pineapple express character thing. Laughing at Doubt. Cute little bit... it was funny. Seth Rogan is so hot.



Jochen Freydank just won for a movie I've never heard of, I think it's a short movie.



Commercial Break Commentary: Brian called. I told him I don't think I'm going anywhere. He asked for me to call him if I change my mind. Um, no. He's a nice kid, but that's all I can see him as, and nothing more. He's been desperately trying to get closer to me, but I simply can't even begin to think about going there with him. He's 21. I mean, my brother will be 21 in April. My I changed my brother's diapers and babysat him. So you can understand how no matter what, mentally I cannot get past that. I have no idea why he finds me so interesting, or why he thinks we should go out together. I have not one thing in common with him and have blown him off since meeting him about a month ago. Bless him for trying.



Oscars:

Hugh singin' and dancin'.

Beyonce joins. Amanda Seyfried joins in too? And Vanessa Hudgens. I think... in the background as one of Beyonce's singers... they even do a whole HSM thing. Mamma Mia. Overall, enjoyable.

The musical is back, he proclaims. I agree. Everyone loves a musical.



Commercial Break Commentary: Mia Called, so I'm listening to her. Will catch up on the blog in the next commercial break.



Oscars:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role. Heath Ledger. Of course. The speech from his father and sisters was so absolutely beautiful, teary eyes were in the crowd. I was a huge fan of his, so I'm happy he got the win. The Dark Knight was amazing.



Documentary Feature: James Marsh



Documentary Short Film: Smile Pinki



Commercial Break Commentary: Still on the phone with Mia.



Oscars:

Action Movie Montage.



Will Smith presents an award for Outstanding Visual Effects. The Oscar goes to The Curious Case

Sound Editing: Dark Knight



Got involved in the conversation with Mia, so I saw Slumdog win a couple more... and then went to eat something downstairs, and then now just saw Slumdog Millionaire win for Original Score as well. The corner of my mouth hurts, as I just opened it to eat the leftover sloppy joe. Any bite of anything breaks it open again. Ow.



Oooh, cool Original Song dance.. I love indian dance. Hollywood has officially gone Bollywood with the huge wins for Slumdog Millionaire! Costuming is awesome. Cool song from Wall-E. Again, I'm loving the costuming and the ethnic diversity in the song. This one is almost bluesy, soul and slightly african in drum beat. Now we're back to the Slumdog song, the one where they all dance at the end. It ended with a really cool compilation of the two songs.



Original Song Oscar, Slumdog Millionaire, for the Jai Ho song- the popular last one. I like this guy... great quote. "All my life I've had the choice between hate and love. I chose love, and I'm here, so thank you." - A.R. Rachman.



Commercial Break Commentary: So I called Brian back after I hung up with Mia and bowed out of going out officially. He's out at a local bar nearby. He lives in the neighborhood. He might finally be getting the message that I'm just not into him. I should send him the movie ticket.



Oscars:

Best Foreign Language film goes to Departures, from Japan. I enjoy the acceptance speeches from people who barely speak English and are so excited for the win.



Commercial Break Commentary: I ended up talking with Mia till she was ready for bed, and I'm glad that she's feeling better than earlier. I ended up talking a lot about my life, as we hadn't caught up for a while uninterrupted. I'm surprised by some of what came out of my mouth. That new McDonald's Filet O Fish commercial with the fish on the wall is hysterical. I don't know why I like it so much, but it's good.



Oscars:

Queen Latifah does the remembrance bit. I always enjoy this part of the process. Oh, beautiful choice. "I'll be seeing you"... Cyd Charisse, Bernie Mac, bud Stone, Ollie Johnston, Van Johnson, J. Paul Huntsman, Michael Crichton (I didn't know he had died), Nina Foch, Pat Hingle, Harold Pinter, Charles H Joffe, Kon Ichikawa, Charles Schneer, Abby Mann, Roy Scheider, David Watkin, Robert Mulligan, Evelyn Keyes, Richard Widmark, Claude Berri, Maila Nurmi, Isaac Hayes, Leonard Roseman, Ricardo Montaban, Manny Farber, Robert Doqui, Jules Dassin, Paul Scofield, John Michael Hayes, Warren Cowan, Joseph Caracciolo, Stan Winston, Ned Tanen James Whitmore, Charlton Heston, Anthony Minghella, Sydney Pollack, Paul Newman....



I can't believe they left Heath Ledger out of that montage! What the hell?



Commercial Break Commentary: I got nothing.



Oscars:

Reece Witherspoon presenting Best Director. I'm pretty sure this is going to be another Slumdog Millionaire win, because it was SO awesome. I was right. Haha on the receiving it in the spirit of Tigger. Great speech.



Now here's the good stuff... coming up Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Film.



Commercial Break Commentary: I am in the mood to songwrite, but I don't have the energy to do it right now. I'd rather go to bed after the Oscars. I have some lyrics in my head, I'll end up putting them on paper to develop the idea further when I poke around on the guitar again. My jaw hurts, not sure why.



Oscars:

I really am enjoying the way they put all these past winners up for the presenting. Very cool.



Best Actress goes to Kate Winslet for The Reader. She was amazing in the movie. I really enjoyed it. She had a great speech as well. I loved that she asked her dad to whistle! Awesome!



Best Actor goes to Sean Penn for MILK. I didn't see the movie, but part of me wished for Mickey Rourke that he would have won. Nevertheless, I am sure that Sean did a wonderful job in the film, as he's a great actor. I'm interested in seeing the movie. It's on my list! Sean's speech was wonderful.



Steven Spielberg presents Best Film. And the Best Film goes to Slumdog Millionaire. That was expected, and cool.



Hope you enjoyed my Oscar related blog. I look forward to heading to bed now. Madelyn is up, and I just put vicks on her chest, she's still got a remnant cough from that cold...but she woke up with a nightmare... so I'm happy that I'm able to have her curled up with me.

Bedtime for mama.

No comments: