Tuesday, October 14, 2008

People Watching

Ok, so I’ve never seen it in person with my own two eyes, on anyone over maybe 5 years old unless they were eating lobster, and even then, it’s rare.

What is it? I am sitting here at Olive Garden, having lunch and working on some stuff, and there is a lady across from me with a napkin tucked in the top of her red top. She’s a little more on the heavyset side, with no makeup and a diet coke in front of her. She’s wearing a red short-sleeved top and athletic pants with two white stripes down either side, along with no socks and backless Crocs. Have I ever mentioned, that I hate Crocs? Anyway, instead of leaning in to eat her soup, she brings the spoon to her face, and inevitably, the soup drips onto the napkin.

Yes, good thing that she put it there, but oh, the sight. I so wanted to take a picture, but I missed my opportunity and couldn’t do it subtly enough to get a shot. I tried to line it up too. Napkin’s gone now, as the soup was taken away.

Damn.

Anyway, that brings me to my next point, people watching. It’s been a hobby of mine since I was a child, as I’ve been very observant over the past thirty years. It’s true, if you ask my mother, she’ll say I came out wide-eyed and looking all over the place like, who are these people and where the fuck am I?

I love people watching.

I can sit in the middle of New York City with a café mocha from Starbucks, and just park my ass on a bench and watch people. I also love just walking around and being observant in general.

There’s so much to see if you just open your eyes to look.

I often wish that I could take what I see with my own eyes and snapshot a moment. Much like a photographer would, I want prints of some of the things I see. Of course, if I had it going all the time, I’d probably end up in trouble of some sort…

While at a traffic light the other afternoon, I saw an old man and a young child. The exchange that happened between them was silent for me, but the body movements and body language between the two of them spoke volumes. I wished immediately for a camera.

I'll have to look into that as an option for myself as a Christmas gift. I know which one I want already. It's a Canon XLR - about $550. Ouch, but potentially worth it...

Ok, enough for today...

No comments: