Sunday, April 5, 2009

Planning a Cross-Country Summer Trip...

So I've always wanted to plan a FUN-filled exploring kind of trip across the country but have never been able to just pick up and leave for an extended amount of time... well, I thought about it, and this summer, the kids and I are going to have our "Summer of Fun". We need a little bonding time together and I am up to the challenge of taking them on a summer trip they'll remember forever.

I'm trying to be smart about it, so I'm researching destinations and campgrounds along the way. I'd really like to get them all sorted out, so we can have a healthy distribution of things to do and hiking/camping.

Originally I was just going to throw the tents/sleeping bags in the car and go... but then I started thinking about it... and my Honda Pilot can tow, so I thought about it more and found this perfect addition to my trip.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=floorview&model=RP-172&choice=rpod&nav=rec&name=6&series=Rpod

Anyway, I'm planning and researching now, but I really like the idea of doing a lot of hiking, camping and the trailer will just assist in the times when we're not at a campground or national park... saves money when you can cook for yourself and not feed munchkins lots of icky fast food.

I have to talk to a friend of mine and see if he's game to travel with me and the kids (and his dog), so we can take a summer trip full of physical activity, fun sights, educational stops (come on, learning about something vs. SEEING something which would you remember better?) and a summer of fun.

So right now, I'm scouring websites for campgrounds, national parks with hiking and fun stuff.

I figure if I can swing it somehow... I will do it for as long as I can. So we'll see. I really, really want that R-Pod, so badly! I think it would be awesome. I might have to sell my little Honda to help pay for it... but I think I could swing it if I sell enough stuff around here that I have. Plus, all my soaps and artwork. I can do it!

Now back to my printing and organizing... I think I'll start with AAA's website and their trip calendar thing they have... more later!

No comments: